Follow us on Facebook to learn more about upcoming concerts and events.
The Sheboygan Symphony Board of Directors has recently added a second orchestra to the SAYS (Sheboygan Area Youth Symphony) program. This will be a string orchestra, made up primarily of Middle School and advanced Elementary School string players, as well as home schooled students. Our new orchestra will be called SAYS Sinfonia. Young string players from around Sheboygan County will learn the basics of orchestral performing and further develop their playing skills. The Sinfonia will be conducted by Susan Stauber
The Sheboygan Area Youth Symphony (SAYS) has a rich history of talented musicians, dedicated conductors, and tireless volunteers. Many of the musicians have gone on to perform with the Sheboygan Symphony and other orchestras around the nation. This artistic group is comprised of nearly 100 young musicians from 13 communities in Sheboygan County. The Concert orchestra and Sinfonia work hard to prepare three public performances each year. The Concert Orchestra is under the direction of Debbie Williamson. Ms. Williamson has previously conducted the Youth Symphony for 15 years and led the orchestra on two national trips.
This is the second season for our Sinfonia group. Sinfonia is a String Orchestra, offering the same high quality orchestral experience to even more students, performing works from the vast repertoire of string music. The Sinfonia performs under the capable baton of Susan Stauber. Ms. Stauber has previously conducted the Lakeshore Youth Philharmonic Orchestra in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
The Sheboygan Area Youth Symphony has experienced tremendous growth in recent years, both in membership and musicality. This season, our conductors look forward to an outstanding year as they work with both Youth Symphony Orchestras to extend their reach to even greater musical heights.
The Sheboygan Area Youth Symphony is made up of musicians in Middle School through 12th grades. Auditions for the coming season are held each May and September, or by special appointment during the year. Students must be an active member of their performing organization at their respective school. Home schooled students are also welcome to audition.
To schedule an audition time, please contact the Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra office either by phone (920-452-1985) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, instrument, and contact information (phone number and/or e-mail address).
Acceptance for membership will be by audition only and based upon playing ability
SINFONIA - Minimal playing ability of Suzuki Book 2
• Cello and bass musicians must play in the 4th position minimally
• Violin and viola musicians must play in the 3rd position minimally
• Winds must play at the ability level of WSMA Class A or B
Auditions will be conducted by the SAYS conductors in the spring of the year for the following season’s membership. Fall auditions may be held as well, at the discretion of the SAYS Conductors.
• Members of each orchestra will remain with their orchestra for the entire concert season. Sinfonia members wishing to move to Concert Orchestra may re-audition at the next scheduled audition date for the following year.
• Current members of SAYS do not need to re-audition each season if they are fulfilling their membership requirements and performing at a level deemed appropriate by the conductors.
• Auditions for chair positions for wind players will take place during an early rehearsal of the first trimester. Part assignments will be at the discretion of the conductor and may change based on player abilities.
• String auditions for part assignments and principals will take place during an early rehearsal of the first trimester.
• Re-auditions for chair placement, if necessary, will be at the discretion of the conductors.